Friday, March 6, 2015

Spring Break and Family Time

I love it when we finally get a short break from our scheduled lives.  The chance to sleep in, the chance to be a little more spur of the moment.  It's great!  I guess I was a little disheartened this morning when I discovered my kids had already made all sorts of plans for our break.  This year we decided to stay home and have fun, a staycation as people are calling them.  I asked the kids weeks ago to think of some fun things to do, it doesn't matter what or how much and we'll have a family meeting about it and plan some of our staycation.

Ah, family meetings.  Usually our family meetings are mostly goofing off and talking about silly fun things or making fun of stuff people take way too seriously.  Not all of them are that way though sometimes we touch base on serious things that our children or ourselves ( my husband and I) are going through and those discussions are filled with love, and heart, and that feeling that we can pull ourselves and this sweet little family through anything.  We try to have these meetings at least 3 or 4 times a month, you know, find out what's going on with our kids without being too intrusive we like that they are finding their independence.  This way if there's anything serious going on that they were afraid to tell us we can, as a family, work together to uplift, encourage, and support each other.  Sometimes it's not something that any of us can really do anything about but we can support each other in the changes of our lives.  I actually love that aspect of our family.

Albeit slightly disappointed that we haven't really planned anything or that we are struggling to, I'm still happy to have the opportunity to spend what time we can together.  Two of our children are teenagers so I get it, friends city!  I encourage that, just hopefully that's not all they choose to do their parents wouldn't mind a day or two to spend with them.  Our daughter is a Junior and I guess it's really hitting us that next year she's a senior and then off to college to live her own life so we want what little time we have left of her in our home because it won't always be like this.  Precious, time is.

Speaking of which, we have a glorious opportunity this summer to travel to visit my Husband's family in Utah and celebrate his parents 50th Anniversary woohoo good on ya Mom and Dad that's fantastic!  Also we are headed up to Southern Alberta ( where I'm from ) to attend a family reunion on my Dad's side, I'm super excited about that.  There will be tons of people I don't recall at all that I get to re-meet ( if that's a thing), lots to introduce my kids and husband to, horses, carriage rides and my ultimate favorite thing....the Rocky Mountains.  Ahhh cannot wait just to see them and hike in them and smell the fresh mountain air.  I get to see me Mum and Dad and I'm excited to see how they react to our youngest daughter Catie.  I think the last time my Dad saw her she was about 2 years old and this girl is a firecracker, super smart, clever and also...bossy.  Did I mention I can't wait?!

On a different note, my son who is in the HS cross country team is going to start running with me.  I need to find a pace, and I'd like to see how long and how far I can get myself to go.  He's really good at running and needs to find his pace also so two birds one stone.  This unhealthy body isn't done yet and I'm gonna do the best I can with what I have as long as I can.  Aiming to lower my cholesterol, did you know that Diabetics have to have a lower cholesterol than normal?  Mine is in the low-normal range for a normal person but the normal-high range for a diabetic.  It sucketh!  Still, gonna keep trying, gotta keep going.  If all goes well my next doctor's visit will be awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment