Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Just Visiting

My husband and I started having a conversation last night that led to this blog. Whatever happened to visiting with each other when we have a spare hour or so? Why are we filling it with meaningless frivel of television and computers or baking just to eat the cookies out of boredom?
I truly miss my friends back home in Alberta. We actually made the effort almost every Saturday to hang out for an afternoon or evening. It was fun and relaxing. Being our silly weird selves I of course will NEVER repeat the conversations we had (they are all laughing in memory now reading this) but the point was that we tried. We made real effort to stay in touch and be friends and stay friends.
I think sometimes in this world it's very easy to meet people that you like and would love to get to know but the gumption and courage to actually do something about it is lost. To my friends back home I certainly hope that you are not in this chicken legs category of simple aquaintances that can never be friends due to your arms length approach.
When I was growing up we had a firepit in the back yard part of my houses appeal when I became an adult and bought a house of my own was to build a fire pit in the back yard. In my childhood our family was host to several people who just stopped by for a visit. It was wonderful especially if they had kids to play with. We hosted many a bon fire party in our backyard where the whole street and neighborhood would come over bringing their new recipes to try and new stories of catching the biggest fish they ever saw. I miss it terribly and since my blog about recreating our own memories so that our children can have some of their own I guess I'm responsible for getting a fire pit in my yard which now I can just buy at Lowes and put away in the garage when I'm not using it although if I lived outside the city you better believe I'd have a shovel in my hand and bricks in a pile beside me. Wasn't always the bonfire though like I was saying sometimes people would just stop by, have something to drink, talk to my mom, we played with the kids in the backyard or basement depending on the weather.
I think it's time to get back to basics. I miss friends calling me up on a moments notice and stopping by. Hardly anyone has done that since the baby was born, either because they think I'm a mangled wretch who isn't sleeping(she sleeps through the night just fine) or they think they are imposing or that it's somehow awkward to invite themselves over. Trust me to all who read this I never take that as a sign of being impolite. Invite yourselves over any time. Here's the hard part that no one wants to hear and several of you will criticize me for but I really mean it! SLOW DOOOOWWWWWNNNNNN! America has this thing about always being first and the best like the entire world is a competition and to an extent in some markets that's true but hasty products usually fall flat anyways we want quality something that lasts so if they slowed down I wouldn't mind a bit. We need to be able to feel like we can breathe. The worst part, we are responsible for that breath entirely. You and you alone choose when to slow down how to slow down how long to slow for etc. Can't keep blaming everyone around you when you have a mouth that can form the word no just like everyone else. Afraid to disappoint other people? Don't be your health and well being is more important to people who really honestly care about you and they'll be fine with it if they aren't fine with it question the honesty of your friendship with them.
I'm pretty easy when it comes to people slowing down taking time and dropping by all I ask is for a phone call. If my hair is messy and I still have pjs on it's nice to pretend that I was ready the whole time lol. Although on some days I might not really care that my hair is messy I have raccoon eyes or that I'm still wearing Mickey Mouse and my friends will love me anyway.
I really want to go back to visiting which means I need to start inviting myself over for a visit too and now that the kids are going back to school look out, you may be on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment