Thursday, August 5, 2010

What time is it?

It has been approximately 14 months since I have been alone to myself and healthy. I say healthy because at the beginning of pregnancy (which for me is almost half) I feel like a child who just ate a worm and chewed into it for the first time see what it really tastes like. Nauseated, tired, I pretty much lived on water for the first half of my pregnancy and forced the occasional piece of toast or cracker.
Anywho, it occures to me last week that I deserve to go out and not with my kids or my husband just out. My husband of course observes that I haven't spent any time with my friends like I should be in the last year either and maybe I should have a "girls night out". As long as it's a movie or dessert for a couple of hours was my reply. Anything relaxing and almost mindless is what I need right now. Just imagine sitting in the middle of a big white bubble in the middle of space and floating around. Now that would be ideal for me right now. But mindless movies and sugary treats are a nice 2nd. ( Actually a nice second would be an hour long massage but I don't have friends that I'm that close to here yet lol)
After much debate with several individuals I opt not to see any drama, I already feel like Kathy Hepburn from Golden Pond most days, and decided on an action comedy which is the perfect mixture of my two favorite Genres. Even though I am excited to spend time with an old friend that I hardly get to see or spend time with I am comfortable enough and secure enough to see any movie alone just fine.
Lots of you out there are cringing right now at that statement or even thinking of names to call me (loser) or feel sorry for me. Don't. I discovered when I really thought of going alone that it didn't scare me AT ALL. I was delighted to realize that I am secure enough in who I am and the relationships that I have with friends and family not to care about the strange woman with her 6" heels and soft blonde hair staring at chubby poofy dry haired me with her makeup all arranged in model perfection vs my dark circles under my eyes due to the thunderstorm that kept waking me up last night. I'm totally fine with it.
That leads me to a question. Are all of you secure enough in yourselves to go out alone. Alone alone. Out to a restaurant for a full on meal or the movies or dancing or whatever you like to do. I challenge you to do so. Who said you have to care so much about what other people think? They aren't you, they don't know you, judgement is futile, pointless, a waste of time. I think that will be the BIGGEST regret that some of us have at the end of our lives, all the things we wanted to do and didn't out of some illogical fear that everyone is staring at you. Trust me, they are all so focused on themselves these days they didn't even see you walk in the door. Get out there and live your life! What time is it I have to go?

2 comments:

  1. I frequently go out alone, as my family is pretty busy during the day typically. I am proud of who I am, and confident enough that I don't need to have someone with me to have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great love to hear that honey!

    ReplyDelete