Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year.  After Halloween and son's birthday and all of the sudden it was Thanksgiving I pulled up my big girl granny panties and said ok that's enough!  Felt good ta say.  I planned out my Thanksgiving menu on Tuesday and went shopping when we came home I wrote down all the things we forgot because we do that alllll the time.  In some cases we will keep forgetting for days on end and finally just say ahhh forget it!  On Wednesday I decided it was a good day to make Pumpkin Pie, Caramel Apple Pie, Corn Pudding, Broccoli Casserole and groove to some classic rock all nice n loud while I danced around in my kitchen.  Put me in the BEST mood.  I even warned my kids I'm in a really good mood right now you wreck it and you will get alllllllllllllll the frustration aimed at YOU.  They didn't even complain about my music.  Ahhhh.  Popped pizza in the oven for company, who I found out later on Thursday when they came back over for pie that they had been to 4 houses eating all day long.  I'd die.

Thursday morning was great I had already baked Banana Muffins for breakfast.  Helped with cleaning the house.  Hubby not working so everyone was home.  Turned on some modern tunes this time and started cooking again.  Made skillet cornbread, bread stuffing, and readied a chicken.  You heard me right, a chicken.  I save Turkey for Christmas I refuse to change my own traditions because some people call it turkey day and that's the way it is lol.  I made mashed potatoes with sour cream, dijjon mustard and crumbled bacon and then made some spicy cranberries ( you HAVE to try the cranberry recipe it was sooooo good).  The chicken was juicy and tender, all the sides complimented each other and none of us got through our plates.  Partially because we had some homemade artichoke and spinach dip with some tortilla chips beforehand while we were playing a game and waiting for everything to cook up nice.  It was sooooo good. Probably why we couldn't fit more Thanksgiving dinner in but who cares I live here the leftovers go in the fridge and heat up nice when you want them again.

The roasted chicken, spicy cranberries, and corn pudding were by far my favorites!  I don't really think I had much more than that on my plate the next day.  My stomach hurt the whole weekend!  In part because I had just got over the flu. ( not a good time to stuff yourself I assure you)  The Caramel Apple pie with homemade caramel sauce was divine.  I found an easy and fantastic pie recipe last year that I would die if I lost it's so amazing.  

What impressed me most, was what everyone said they were thankful for, and what they were least thankful for.  No one said they were thankful for my mp3 player or cable or even video games.  They said family and good friends that support them, employment that they enjoy, and I was thankful for the two days of calm and truly happy enjoyment I had had creating the Thanksgiving meal and dancing around to my tunes.  Our least thankful was for contention in the home, forgetfulness, and not enough time to spend with each other.

 I'm aiming for that same happy dancy self feeling all December long.  Where I was in a really good don't pop my bubble or I'll smack you mood.  I don't want to spend a lot of money, because we have everything we need, except a new car we're saving up for that one.  I don't want to plan a thing except Christmas Eve treats and Christmas Day dinner WITH turkey.  I plan on baking every day in December to share with family and friends throughout the month so I don't feel like I have to do everything all at once.  Yes I said every day so easy to just double a recipe and hand em out.  And I don't just bake cookies at Christmas we're talking simple as Rice Krispie squares or complicated as Turtle Pie.   Mmmmm Turtle Pie.(sorry Homer Simpson moment)  I truly want to feel the calm sweet peaceful feeling that Christmas is meant to have.  Considering the reason for the season, whom I love deeply and honor and respect with all of my heart, Jesus Christ being the peaceful example that He was and is I look forward to every minute of celebrating His life with loved ones.  I hope you can do the same and enjoy your Holidays with friends and family and take a break from the rush of this world.


2 comments:

  1. Remember that Thanksgiving when we got a whole bunch of Wendy's burgers and set off fireworks? Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome! Poor eyebrows lol

    ReplyDelete