Monday, April 22, 2013

The Warm Makes Me Lazy..

When it starts to warm up around here the first instinct I have is yard work...like most of you I'm sure!  We trimmed most of our trees, we have two that were almost dead that have completely revived over the winter snow and spring rain complain all you like but these two forms of moisture do as God intended and revive the plant life that surrounds you.  As a result we get to benefit by looking and smelling all of it and take in the wonderful sunshine that will always return.  I know some of you in Northern States and Canada are still waiting patiently for the snow to pass on and winter to let go of it's reign these past months, be patient before you know it you'll be complaining that it's too hot.

I get that 'bug' stirred up in me to plant things in my flower pots but this year instead of flowers I'm going to try my hand at herbs and see what I have a knack for.  If I get good at those I'll be brave enough to plant an herb garden.  In the past the only thing that ever worked out for me was my cactus and it died when we had a very unseasonable frost even though it was inside.  The temperature dropped so fast it froze to death poor thing.  I have always secretly believed that everything living hates me but roses.  They do everything they're told and more.  I am anxiously watching my little buds grow waiting for their beautiful vibrant color to grace us with their presence and the opportunity to smell their sweet intoxicating fragrance.  I know they say stick to what you know but we'll give these herbs a chance and a couple of fruits and vegetables as well.

This happens every year it warms up.  I get so excited and eager about all the things I can clean, fix, plant, and paint.  But here in Missouri sometimes Spring is very very short.  As soon as we start hitting anything about 86F I start to melt and turn into a pile of lazy goo.  I make sure in the early mornings or late dark evenings that I water all my plants and lawn and trees hoping they keep that moisture deep in their roots and stay strong for me when we hit the 100+F mark.  That's about it.  My outside work is minimal maintenance, unless I'm suntanning I'm sorry I know such a teenager thing to do but as a previous one I can assure you old habits die hard.  I prefer air conditioning and my basement from here on out unless we have colder days.

I was never this sensitive to heat or sunlight before but thyroid says no.  No to too much heat and no to too much sunlight.  As a result I am more lazy in the summer than any other season.  In fact I would say winter is my busiest time of year lol.  You sure can accumulate a lot of dust with 5 people and 2 cats!  I never vacuum so much in my year than when it's colder.  Last year I had to audacity not to listen to my doctor and got very sick a couple of times.  It was scary and I learned my lesson.  I know I'll get stir crazy that's what kids and sprinklers and water balloons are for!  Also we do Just Dance and lots of reading.

Ahhhhh my favorite part of summer!!  Reading!  No school to get ready for, help at home with baby girl.  There will be naps and reading gallore.  I'm looking forward to sleeping in.  When we need to go for a walk we go to the mall when it's too hot and wander around chatting.  I get to hear my kids tell me all the things they want ( that I can't afford) and all the things they hope to do when 'they grow up'.  It's actually very cool. This year we are trying not to vacation other than our 3 day weekends of camping now and then so we can save money for something fun and exciting like, Disney World.  We're real picky about that stuff we save thousands so we can really enjoy ourselves and take our time.  We've worked so hard to get out of debt that we'd rather be patient and plan than use credit cards that we can't pay back right away.  Sure feels a lot free-er.  I won't mind being lazy on a warm beach during a cold Missouri winter.  In fact I'll probably rub it in, you were warned!

I really enjoy spring, I don't mind being lazy in the summer and I sure am looking forward to all the down time I'll get to spend with my family.  So what are you doing this Spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment