Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Detoxing my mind and body

I have been doing a cleansing day most months of the year every year since I was about 13/14 years old.  I would always abstain from any processed foods, beef, pork, and even dairy.  Wasn't easy.  I drank a ton of water and fruits and vegetables.  Was easy my parents always had a garden.  I usually did this on a Saturday and it was much easier to do in the summer months because sweat really helps you get rid of any toxins.  I would call it my 'tanning' day.  I started adding lemon juice to my water in my later teen years because I discovered it had great health properties to help jump start detox and now of course it's a fad and everyone puts a lemon slice, wedge, or juice in their water.  Used to just be a fancy restaurant thing when I was younger lol.  I would do that all day long and be careful and dinner and then by bedtime I was done.

Since I've grown up, stress is much more prominent it comes with the responsibility of having a family and home to look after.  We 'cleanse' our homes every year with spring cleaning.  Tossing out or donating old toys, clothes, and furniture.  Opening all the windows to clean warm fresh air, washing and dusting everything to get the 'stink out'.  Our bodies need that too.  Not just once a year but I try to do it a min of once a month if not more than that.  Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we fast once a month, usually the first Sunday, to show our obedience and gratitude to our Father in Heaven for everything He gives us.  It also acts as a mini detox to our bodies if we do a full fast ( miss two consecutive meals in a 24 hour period as well as abstaining from drinking any water or beverages) and I always find myself automatically aiming for the water first and foremost.

When I was in my late teen years I learned how to meditate.  I remember this small town of ours linking meditation to burning incense or chanting which is fine for some but was never my intention.  I just wanted the quiet peaceful state when my mind could offer me solutions to things that were bothering me and help me 'clear the air' of stress around me.  I still meditate about two times a week to this day.  It's a wonderful calming escape to me where I get to sit still and clear my mind or unwanted thoughts or anger or arguments.  I've gotten pretty good at it over the years.  It only takes me minutes to sink into meditation and 'empty out the trash'.  I always open my eyes feeling lighter and happier so it works really well for me.  I know it might not work for everyone.

When I originally started meditating I would use the bathtub to do it.  Covering my ears with the water so it would muffle out anyone speaking outside the bathroom and all I could hear was myself breathing.  My family can attest to my falling asleep quite often as a result so I stopped doing it that way and wouldn't recommend it unless there is someone that can check on you frequently.  I tried doing it in a quiet part of the world, I would jog down to a quiet place and sit on a log or tree stump but I was always interrupted by cyclists or dog walkers so I stopped doing it that way too.

Now I have a song.  This song I associate only with meditation and nothing else.  The first time I heard it was on the radio and I remember looking up the mp3 online and finding a remix which I bought and downloaded.  Now when I hear it play it puts me automatic relax cut everyone off mode so I have to be careful to keep it separate from my other music.  The song is only about 4-5 mins long.  If I need more time I replay.  But quite frankly that 4-5 minutes can keep me going all day.  Puts me in the right frame of mind to solve arguments and stressful situations.  I am more mindful of what's going on around me and don't feel overwhelmed by it.

With the state of the world as it is and the speed it demands we pace ourselves at I truly cherish the opportunities I have to stop and appreciate life.  Whether it's snowed in or a week at the cabin by the lake I am grateful for that time we have to stop and breathe and learn more about each other and the time to adore the beauty in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment