Sunday, April 15, 2012

I need more discipline in my life

Now when I speak of discipline it's usually directed at my children, or other people's children who seem to be getting ignored but that's another post. I need to discipline me.

I often spend most days, like so many others, thinking of all the things I need to get done and feeling overwhelmed before I even start. I get so excited on the days I have nothing scheduled on my calendar but then I get bored and think of all the other things I should and could be doing around the house, the yard, some book studying, anything but sitting there. I need discipline.

I need to discipline my mind first because as you all know thoughts lead to actions and if you have too many at once you write it all down so you can't forget the list of things you need to accomplish and quite frankly I'm just sick of lists. How do I discipline my mind and my thoughts, which technically is all I have control over in this life anyways, to create new habits that feel productive?

Shortly after that thought another occurred to me. Maybe I need to wake up at the crack of dawn and scrub my floors by hand. Break myself down a little bit through lots of hard work so I can have the opportunity to be open to something new. Most of us have experienced hard work on our own it's almost therapeutic at times giving us time to think. New thoughts, new ideas, new habits. Maybe I'm being selfish with my lists making them the way I want them to be and doing the things that I think I should be doing. Maybe I should be spending my time opening my mind to things the Lord wants me to do not only for me and my family but to serve Him. Maybe I should start helping Him instead of waiting for Him to help me. They always tell you that life changes start small so, I'm going to start with scrubbing the hard wood floors. See where it leads me.

No comments:

Post a Comment