Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A surprising Triumph!

Today my baby girl who is 2 years old decided once again, as she does on many occasions, going to take her diaper off and run around with nothing but her dress and the wind. I took this as an opportunity since she does it so often not to put another diaper on her at but instead encourage her to use her new Elmo potty. The Elmo Potty has a big picture of Elmo on that back of the toilet with a yellow "cup" as the toilet and a flushing handle that makes hooray and flushing noises. Very stylish for a 2 year old. So we went several times to 'visit' the potty and sit on it to make ourselves comfortable. When I started singing the ABC song she looked at me like I was nuts so instead we just sat there. Every time she got up I would ask her to sit back down but not force. Very important that they choose to sit. In between 'visits' she would wander around doing her usual things and I kept a close watch on her not wanting my furniture or carpet to receive the brunt of any 'foul odorous' play. She kept going back and forth back and forth and I decided to get up and make myself a drink since this could be a while. As soon as I do my little girl sat and went to the potty for the first time! I could have complained that I wasn't there but instead glorified in her triumph! Her reaction was not as simple and sweet as mine however. She came out crying and genuinely concerned that she had um wet herself a little bit and was really very upset. I kept on smiling and praising and reassuring her what a good girl she was and what a great thing she did and she smiled and lightened up. For about a minute. Back to the I'm wet and crying here mom. I was so thrilled and also puzzled that this baby girl was so tearful seeing and hearing that her mother was overjoyed with excitement and glowing with that motherhood achievement. She's only been 2 yrs old for a month! This is spectacular what she did! I took off her dress while she continued to cry and cheered and helped her flush her pee down the big potty and wash her hands like a big girl and she would smile here and there. I just couldn't stop giggling at her reaction. She even held her knees together as she cried like she was ashamed at what came out and holding her knees together might stop an encore. Sooo unbelievably funny! It wasn't until she had another diaper on that she calmed down and next thing I knew she had her hands in the air cheering hooray. What a funny little girl and a great surprise triumph!!

No comments:

Post a Comment