Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Old Dream Revisited

When I was about 16 years of age I began having a series of dreams that weren't necessarily all the same dream but almost like 2 months of watching a futuristic movie of myself in a pattern or sequence.  It was so detailed that I can literally draw a map of the house right down to where the furniture was in each room.

It was always at Thanksgiving.  I was always working in the kitchen with my parents preparing food.  My husband, who always had his face blotched or missing in some fashion would walk in the door wearing a navy blue suit and carrying a briefcase.  I believe I'm facing north and he is walking in the door on the west side of the house.  The way the kitchen was there was two cupboards top and bottom with a space in between so you could see the back door open and the top cupboard was glass and had what we called the nice dishes that we don't want to break in it.  I remember seeing my dad taking the turkey out of the oven, my mom helping me with the sides and I'm always 9 months pregnant with an extremely intelligent 2-3 year old boy manipulating company and other family members to do this with him or give him things that he already knows Mom and Dad said no to.  In this case it was asking my mother for an oatmeal raisin cookie from the cookie jar me saying no and my mom handing it to him giggling and sweetly saying here you go.

There were 3 individuals in my two story ceiling 'family room' (facing same way I did when hubby walked in) two were older individuals that I kept thinking reminded me of my Father's parents and then a young man shirtless with tattoos that had just come in from playing basketball with my eldest son who was tall and slender.  Keep in mind I'm only 16 when I'm having this dream okay.  I see him playing with a younger sister who in my mind is the middle child of the family and they are very close.  Best of friends they look up to each other and inspire each other all their lives.  On the wall between the kitchen and the den, I can literally see all the degrees on the wall and the library of text books with it inside, is a picture of my oldest daughter who isn't there but is about 22 years of age in the photo and looks an awful lot like me only in my opinion more beautiful with her auburn hair and twinkle in her eyes.  I get the impression that she is married now with one child and that her and her husband are at his family's home for Thanksgiving.

Then it occurs to me, I'm Canadian, that I'm not in Canada but somewhere in the US.  I can see out my kitchen window on the west wall and there are mountains and grassy hills outside.  It's cold and cloudy with some sun shining through and around sunset.  I see a fenced field, ours, and a wide porch with no railings just plain 'old fashioned' wood.

If I had been the one walking into the home like my husband did I would see a grand room bigger than the house I live in now that is wide open space with a dining room set on the north east corner with stairs going downstairs behind it, bedrooms/rooms straight ahead of me with a simple suspended staircase going upstairs and the upstairs rooms are off a balcony hallway so you can see in side.  The master bedroom is upstairs in the southeast corner of the home.  I have twins bunking in the room below it, you can see their walls and beds covered with sports.  On the south there is one one story guest room on the main floor beside a bathroom, the two story den, and the two story kitchen.  Upstairs there is another bedroom above the guest room across from the master bedroom that houses 3 girls who are close in age all my daughters.  Beside the masterbedroom on the east wall upstairs is the baby's room whom the 2-3 year old has recently evacuated moving in with his oldest brother in the room beside it.  There was another room downstairs that would be the equivalent of both the baby room and the brother's room that was the tv/play room.  I remember smiling when I saw that thinking aaahhh a door.

Take a minute, I  realize holy cow detailed right?  Had this same dream every night for 2 months at 16 just reminding you.  I even knew that there was a two story party room beside the bedrooms at the farthest north east corner of the house.  Behind the stairs and through the balcony.  Was the only way to get into the room from the main part of the house.  It was a two story staircase that starts narrow at the top and tapers out towards the floor.  Double doors in front of you making an east entrance into the house with two large white pillars just outside of it.  If you are walking in the doors facing west to your right on the east wall is a soda fountain bar with a freezer filled with ice cream for floats.  Behind that and the stools is a pool table, then a foosball table, then a couch two big comfy chairs, a  jukebox and a dart board.  Undoubtedly one of my favorite rooms no wonder it was hard to get to and locked up unless there was a party.

Back near the kitchen if you walk out the west door ( the back door in the west is technically the front door and the east door is technically the back door) you see another door to the outside of the house and a mudroom with lockers to your immediate right and through that to your right if you walk through there is a sun room filled with a comfortable couch, big lazy chair, coffee table with magazines on it and plants.  Walking back and outside the outer door you would be standing on that big ole porch that wraps to the end of the kitchen to your south or left because it runs into the 3 car garage and then all the way to the end of the house to the north.  Big ole wooden rocking chair to your right.  Porch swing to your left.

I relived this dream again recently.  Every detail, every smell, every happy feeling of family and an organized home and being out in the country.  When I was 16 all I could think about was I'm never getting married, I want to live in a big city with friends, and I'm going to be a rich business woman with a nice jaguar and an old mustang.  Did I mention the dirty mustang in the driveway of my dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment